Nilsson served in the U. S. Navy during World War II. He enlisted on July 21, 1942. His service number was 6469103. On September 24, 1945, he sailed on the U.S.S. Grayson (DD-435) from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, to Norfolk, Virginia. He then travelled to the Personnel Separation Center (PSC) at Lido Beach, New York for discharge on October 21, 1945.
In the early 1950s, Nilsson lived in Paterson, New Jersey and worked as a firefighter. When the Nilsson's were one of almost 100 families ordered to give up their homes to facilitate construction of the Garden State Parkway, Nilsson lead a group representing the homeowners. 
Nilsson died on November 5, 1975.
-  Source: Public Records Search
-  "U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010"
-  "U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949" The National Archives
-  Source: Multiple articles in The News and other local Paterson, New Jersey newspapers
-  Source: Gary Nilsson
- Dates and Names Sourced from Public Records Searches
- Photo and letter courtesy of Gary Nilsson